- Union Home Minister Shri Amit Shah has inaugurated the “Destination North East-2020” festival. The festival will be held with the theme of “The Emerging Delightful Destinations”.
- India has entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Denmark in the field of Intellectual Property (IP) Cooperation.
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has identified Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC), General Insurance Corporation of India (GIC) and New India Assurance as domestic systemically important insurers (D-SIIs).
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a 300 million dollar loan to finance inclusive water supply and sanitation infrastructure and services in secondary towns of Rajasthan.
- The Reserve Bank of India has announced that it will launch “Positive Pay System” for Cheque Truncation System from 01st January, 2021.
- The National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) has projected the GDP growth for the Indian economy at -12.6% For 2020-21 (FY21) with the remaining three quarters expected to witness a fall. For 2021-22, NCAER projects the GDP of India to grow by 7%.
- Neetu David becomes new head of India women’s selection committee.
- Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes-Finland) has won the Formula One Russian Grand Prix 2020 held at Sochi Autodrom, Russia.
- The fourth edition of biennial Japan-India Maritime bilateral Exercise (JIMEX) kicked off in the northern Arabia Sea.
- World Rabies Day is observed on 28th September every year. The theme for the 14th WRD in 2020 is ‘End Rabies: Collaborate, Vaccinate’.
- The theme for International Day (28 Sept) for the Universal Access to Information 2020: Access to Information – Saving lives, Building Trust, Bringing Hope!
- World Tourism Day is observed globally on 27th September every year. The 2020 edition of World Tourism Day, with the theme of “Tourism and Rural Development”.
- Health and Family Welfare Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan has launched the ICMR’s vaccine web portal and National Clinical Registry for Covid-19.
- India has protested Pakistan’s announcement of elections in “Gilgit-Baltistan” Legislative Assembly.
- SBI Card has launched its new brand campaign titled ‘Contactless Connections’, which aims to spreads the message that love and care can be shared even during this difficult period where social distancing is the norm.
- Rating agency ICRA has revised its forecast for the contraction in India’s FY21 GDP to 11 per cent from its earlier assessment of 9.5 per cent.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has appointed P.D. Vaghela as the chairman of the Telecom Regulatory of India (TRAI).
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on September 29, 2020, inaugurated six mega projects in Uttarakhand under Namami Gange Programme.
- China’s Yunnan province has a confirmed case of Bubonic plague after the local Center for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed a previously suspected case of bubonic plague in a 3-year-old child. No other new cases of the deadly plague have been reported till now.
- All India Football Federation (AIFF) awards 2019-20 has announced. Indian men’s team Goalkeeper Gurpreet Singh Sandhu has won the 2019-’20 AIFF Player of the year awards in men’s category. The women’s squad’s midfielder Sanju Yadav from Haryana has won the 2019-’20 AIFF Player of the year awards in women’s category.
- The Maharashtra government has announced the Gan Samragni Lata Mangeshkar award for the year 2020-21 to veteran female playback singer Usha Mangeshkar.
- The theme for International Day of Awareness on Food Loss and Waste Reduction 2020 (29 sept) is “Stop food loss and waste. For the people. For the planet.”
- The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras has successfully developed ‘MOUSHIK’, an indigenously-made microprocessor for the Internet of things (IoT) devices.
- Assam’s first and only woman chief minister, Syeda Anwara Taimur passed away.
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development will begin a Sanitation Literacy Campaign (SLC) in Karnataka to promote literacy on ‘WASH’ (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) in 2,000 villages covering one lakh rural population.
- Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has announced Shekhar Kapur as the new President of Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) Society and Chairman of FTII Governing Council.
- Kerala Tourism’s ‘Human by Nature Print Campaign’ bagged the Prestigious Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) Grand Title Winner 2020 for Marketing.
- Bollywood actor, Sonu Sood has been conferred the prestigious SDG Special Humanitarian Action Award by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) on 28 September 2020 during a virtual ceremony.
- BrahMos surface-to-surface supersonic cruise missile featuring indigenous Booster and Airframe Section along with many other ‘Made in India’ sub-systems was successfully flight tested from ITR, Balasore in Odisha.
- Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh launched the Defence India Startup Challenge (DISC 4) during the iDEX event. iDEX4Fauji initiative and Product Management Approach (PMA) guidelines were also launched by the Raksha Mantri during the event.
- All 32 accused in the Babri Masjid Demolition Case were acquitted by a special CBI court in Lucknow. CBI judge Surendra Kumar Yadav, while pronouncing the verdict, stated that the demolition was not pre-planned.
- A Chinese private company, Origin Space is planning to send out the world’s first asteroid mining robot into space in November 2020. The robot has been named ‘asteroid mining robot’ by the space start-up.
- The Indian Space of Research Organisation (ISRO) is all set to launch its Venus Mission in 2025 along with participation from French Space Agency CNES (The National Centre for Space Studies).
- Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot e-launched the “Ambedkar Social Innovation and Incubation Mission (ASIIM)”.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has deferred implementation of provisions made under Basel III capital due to uncertainty related to COVID crisis.
- The South Eastern Railways (SER) has launched the project, “Operation my Saheli” to enhance the security of women passengers in the train throughout the entire journey from the originating point to their destination.
- The Amnesty International India has stopped its operations in the country, after the government of India froze the bank accounts of the organisation on September 10, for allegedly breaking rules on foreign funding laws.
- West Bengal government has launched the “Pathashree Abhijan” scheme. It is a road repair scheme, where more than 7,000 stretches of roads comprising 12,000 kilometers across the state will be repaired.
- Chief Minister of Assam has launched a portal “Kritagyata”, an online pension submission and tracking system.
- The International Day of Non-Violence is observed on 2nd October, the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, leader of the Indian independence movement and pioneer of the philosophy and strategy of non-violence.
- The second edition of Indian Navy (IN) – Bangladesh Navy (BN) Bilateral Exercise Bongosagar commences in Northern Bay of Bengal.
- The Indian Coast Guard Vessel Karnaklata Barua was commissioned at Kolkata.
The Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize 2020 was announced by the Union science and technology minister Dr Harsh Vardhan at the Foundation Day celebration of the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) on 26th September.
Here is the list of 14 Fourteen scientists awardees:
Dr Subhadeep Chatterjee,
Dr Vatsala Thirumalai
Dr Jyotirmayee Dash,
Dr Subi Jacob George
Earth, Atmosphere, Ocean and Planetary Sciences:-
Dr Abhijit Mukherjee
Dr Suryendu Dutta
Dr Amol Arvindrao Kulkarni
Dr Kinshuk Dasgupta
Dr UK Anandavardhanan,
Dr Rajat Subhra Hazra
Dr Bushra Ateeq,
Dr Ritesh Agarwal
Dr Rajesh Ganapathy
Dr Surajit Dhara