- The Ministry of Shipping is being expanded and renamed as the Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways. This information was given by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 8 November 2020, during a launch event of Ro-Pax terminal at Hazira and flagging off the Ro-Pax ferry service between Hazira and Ghogha in Gujarat.
- The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has issued a notification that FASTags will become mandatory for all four-wheelers, including old vehicles, from January 1, 2021.
- Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. has defeated Donald Trump to become the 46th U.S. president. Biden will become the oldest president-elect in U.S. history and the first to oust a sitting commander-in-chief after one term since Bill Clinton defeated George H.W. Bush in 1992. Biden’s electoral college vote to 290, surpassing the 270 needed to win the White House. California Senator Kamala Harris, becomes the first Black and Indian-American woman to serve as vice president.
- The United Arab Emirates has made an amendment in its strict Islamic personal laws to allow cohabitation of unmarried couples and loosen restrictions on alcohol consumption by scrapping penalties on the consumption of alcohol and its possession for those aged 21 and above.
- The government of Kerala has launched a pioneering eco-sustainable programme called ‘Parivarthanam’, to improve the livelihood of the fishing community.
- Indian diplomat, Vidisha Maitra has been elected to the UN’s Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ).
- Union Jal Shakti Minister, Gajendra Singh Shekhawat has launched India’s first solar-based Integrated Multi-Village Water Supply Project (IMVWSP) in Arunachal Pradesh.
- India has welcomed the removal of Sudan from the US State Sponsors of Terrorism List. India also welcomed normalisation of Sudan’s relations with Israel.
- Russian, Daniil Medvedev has won Paris Master 2020 title in badminton, when he beat Alexander Zverev 5-7, 6-4, 6-1 in Paris. He became the fourth Russian to capture the Rolex Paris Masters title.
- Serbian Tennis star Novak Djokovic clinched year-end world number one ranking for a record sixth time on November 6, 2020. He has now equaled the record of American Tennis great Pete Sampras, who ended with world number one ranking for six straight years between 1993 and 1998.
- The Indian film ‘Natkhat’, starring and co-produced by Vidya Balan, has won the top prize at the third edition of Best Of India Short Film Festival 2020.
- The Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), a flagship initiative by the NITI Aayog, and Russia’s Sirius (Scientific International Research In Unique Terrestrial Station) have jointly launched ‘AIM–Sirius Innovation Programme 3.0’.
- Former West Indies fast bowler, Michael Holding has been appointed as a new patron of Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) Foundation.
- India’s longest single-lane motorable suspension bridge has been inaugurated in Tehri-Garhwal district of Uttarakhand. The Dobra-Chanti Jhula (suspension) bridge, was inaugurated by the Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat to mark the 20th foundation day of the state on 9th November 2020.
- Nagaland govt decides to celebrate Hornbill Festival virtually this year, amid the surge in COVID-19 cases in the country. This festival is also called the Festival of Festivals. It is held every year from December 1 to 10, showcases the culture, heritage, food and customs of Naga tribes in which 16 tribes come together to celebrate their traditions with dance performances.
- Malayalam author, S Hareesh has won the JCB Prize for Literature 2020 for his novel Moustache.
- World Science Day for Peace and Development is celebrated each year on November 10 every year. This year World Science Day for Peace and Development theme is “Science for and with Society”.
- The Agriculture and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) has announced that Assam’s Tezpur Litchi has been given the geographical indication (GI) tag, though the litchis name in the GI tag list is there since 2015.
- Marathi film, Karkhanisanchi Waari (Ashes on a Road Trip), the 149-minute film tells the story of the Karkhanis, the last joint family of Pune.
- China has sent into space the world’s first 6G experiment satellite.
- Australia-India Water Centre (AIWC) has been inaugurated in a virtual event to promote water-related research, teaching, and training between the two countries. This Water Centre is led by IIT Guwahati from the Indian side and the University of Western Sydney from the Australian side. Along with this, the centre has 21 partners from India and Australia.
- A model of Anti Satellite (A-SAT) Missile installed inside DRDO Bhawan was unveiled by Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh. The installation of the A-SAT model will inspire the DRDO fraternity to take up many more such challenging missions in future.
- The founder-chairman of Wipro Ltd, Azim Premji has topped the EdelGive Hurun India Philanthropy List 2020.
- Ruskin Bond, one of India’s most cherished authors was conferred Tata Literature Live! Lifetime Achievement Award for 2020.
- The 20th Summit of SCO Council of Heads of State was held on November 10, 2020, in Video Conference Format. The Meeting was chaired by the Russian President Vladimir Putin. Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi led the Indian delegation.
- In India, the National Education Day or Rashtriya Shiksha Diwas is celebrated on 11 November every year. The day is celebrated to commemorate the birth anniversary of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, the first education minister of independent India.
Mumbai Indians defeated Delhi Capitals in the final of Dream11 Indian Premier League (IPL) 2020 to lift their fifth IPL trophy. They have now become the only side after Chennai Super Kings to defend the title.
Rohit Sharma adjudged Game Changer of the Match in the final of IPL 2020.
Trent Boult named the Player of the Match in the final of IPL 2020.
Kings XI Punjab skipper KL Rahul bags the Orange Cap.
Game Changer of the Season: KL Rahul.
Delhi Capitals’ Kagiso Rabada wins the Purple Cap.
Emerging Player of the season: Devdutt Padikkal (RCB).
Rajasthan Royals speedster Jofra Archer emerges as the Most Valuable Player.
- Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has launched ‘Secha Samadhan’, a bilingual mobile application, to address the irrigation problems faced by farmers without them having to visit the offices concerned.
- The Indian Navy has launched the fifth Scorpene submarine “Vagir” at Mazagon Dock of south Mumbai. The submarine is capable of taking missions such as anti-submarine warfare, anti-surface warfare, mine laying, intelligence gathering and area surveillance.
- The resolution on Sarna Code was passed unanimously by the Jharkhand Assembly on November 11, 2020 during a special one-day assembly session. The resolution calls for the inclusion of Sarna in the 2021 Census as a separate religion.
- The Vice President of India, M Venkaiah Naidu has presented the National Water Awards (NWAs) for 2019. This is the second edition of the award. Among the states category, Tamil Nadu bagged the Best State Award, followed by Maharashtra and Rajasthan.
- The world number one Chen Meng beat Chinese compatriot Sun Yingsha to win her maiden International Table Tennis Federation(ITTF) Women’s World Cup table tennis title in held in Weihai, China.
- Haryana Chief Minister (CM), Manohar Lal Khattar has virtually unveiled ‘Project Air Care’ to combat rising Air Pollution in Gurgaon. 65 Wing Augmentation Air Purifying Units (WAYU) would be set up at areas with high Air Quality Indices (AQI) in Gurgaon to improve the air quality.
- India’s first Sandalwood Museum is being established in Aranya Bhavan in Ashokapuram, Mysuru, Karnataka.
- Rating Agency Moody’s has projected the GDP of India at -8.9% for the calendar year 2020.
- Myanmar’s ruling party led by Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi claimed a resounding victory.
- Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) will be starting ‘Bharat Darshan–Dakshin Bharat Yatra’ from December 12